Saturday, August 13, 2016

The Next Season

Faded brown leaves, dry as ash
crackle under my heels,
swirl anxiously around my ankles.

I look up at branches, clearly visible,
and wonder if my old maple misses her leaves,
feels a little exposed without them,

or, if just before she dropped them,
she worried about letting them go.

Do you wonder, old friend, at what rash thought
made you shed your lovely coat all at once;
do you wonder, sometimes,
if you should have saved a few back, just in case?

Now that birds are on the move, and flowers scent the breeze
do you worry, that your last leaf has come and gone,
that you have nothing left to give?

So I will bring my book, sit under your branches,
and wait a while, with you.


©2008 Donna Jo Wallace
shared with Poets United / Poetry Pantry #315

12 comments:

  1. Ah yes, the feel of fall in the air...... This is really filled with feeling, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this tenderness to your tree.........yes, hard to let them go..........love the wondering whether she worries she has nothing left to give, and your willingness to sit under her, in solidarity and keep her company. A very lovely poem. Loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the closing lines are so filled with compassion and love....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I like to have trees as friends, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the tenderness with which this poem is written.. sigh.. so beautifully penned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The metaphor of those falling leaves... I think we need that special someone sitting alongside just to cope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! If they could save some leaves!
    I love the compassion & giving company in the end...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful meditation...sometimes it feels like we can learn more about ourselves through really listening to the world around us

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like that tree sometimes, but look how that view has opened up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, guys, I appreciate all of your comments! This is an old poem which I recently did a massive rewrite on - I changed the point of view to talk with the tree, and the bit a the end about sitting with it is completely new. I even changed the title - it was called "Fear of Creation" before. I think my changes to the poem reflect some positive changes in myself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful poetry. Love your closing lines.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the empathy here, implying the narrator is in the same boat. That's how it came to me, relating to the tree.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and insights.