Sunday, July 31, 2016

Freckle-Face

Summer sun is bringing them on
like so many tomatoes on the vine.

These are my little spots,
the ones that follow my home after a day in the sun. 
I used to think of them as bits of beach that stay.

New constellations emerge, like stars in a country sky - 
some new and faint, some gaining confidence,
others always and steadfastly there.

Now and then I remember my freckle-faced first grade teacher,
the one who said she took hers off and night and put them on in the morning, 
who declared them as beauty marks and wore them with pride.

I never thought of them as a blemish
as, sadly, I've heard some women do. 
I never had a chance to. 

I don't think of them much at all until summer comes,
then they pepper me up, and say 
hello.

© 2016 Donna Jo Wallace
shared at Poetry United / Poetry Pantry #313

12 comments:

  1. Lovely write. I was, only Saturday, reading to my Grand daughter 'Mud Spots and Candy Sprinkles' by Chrissie Villa

    Thanks for dropping in at Sunday Line Donna

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. summer sun and freckles, the two go together, i've always found them attractive on ladies

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had freckles too, when I was young but they seem to have worn off....I so enjoyed this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, this is extreme cuteness:

    "I used to think of them as bits of beach that stay.
    New constellations"

    "...and faint, some gaining confidence"

    Love, love, love the ending:
    "they pepper me up, and say
    hello"

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love what the first grade teacher said...beautifully put...both, her words and yours...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always head them described as cute. I think so too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. absolutely charming - the words of your teacher and your own bits of the beach that stay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw. This is so sweet and about something that I think is so cute. This brought back memories of my own 1st grade teacher - Bright red hair, and a beautiful face adorned by a million freckles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm imagining your first-grade teacher taking off her freckles at night, and putting them back on in the morning. Delightful image!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She made us laugh. I suspect she was a really great teacher, though I had little appreciation of such things then.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments and insights.